Monday, June 1, 2015

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 10-11)


The fourth step of humility is to go even further than this by readily accepting in patient and silent endurance, without thought of giving up the issue, any hard and demanding things that may come our way in the course of that obedience, even if they include harsh impositions which are unjust. (From para. 10 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Even though I clearly don't have an external superior such as an abbess, it's clear to me that I do suffer from "harsh impositions which are unjust". Only God can lead me through the difficult ways of discerning what damages my self-confidence, versus what helps me place my center of being in God. John Main teaches me: "To be stable we need to be sure of ourselves. We need to feel we are standing on firm ground and that we will not have our identity or self-respect blown away by the first storms of disappointment or conflict which we encounter. Meditation is the way to this first and basic sense of stability, rootedness in ourselves." (Silence and Stillness, p.267.)

No comments:

Post a Comment