Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 19-20)


Good habit and delight in virtue will carry us along.  (From para. 20 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

In a sense, I would say that John Main quantified aspects of the practice of meditation to help establish understanding of it as a "good habit": 20-30 minutes, twice a day, saying the mantra for the whole time of the meditation. What emerges from this discipline, practiced in loving fidelity, is a creative rhythm to my life that carries me along.

1 comment:

  1. "Good habit and delight in virtue": these words of Benedict remind me that you, Abba, are the Great Artist. Amazingly, you, the Creator of this awesome, wonder-full universe, invite me, today, now, to make art with you, the art that is my life today. We do this together in the silence of meditation and the mantra and in every moment and in every opportunity to love you bring my way today. What could be more delightful!

    ReplyDelete