Saturday, August 8, 2015

Chapter 57: Members of the community with creative gifts


If there are any in the community with creative gifts, they should use them in their workshops with proper humility, provided that they have the permission of the superior. (From para. 1 of Ch. 57 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

My understanding of "creative gifts" is expanding. On one hand, it includes a growing quality of selfless attention when I practice my own art, and perhaps share my art with others. On the other hand, creativity begins to characterize the experience of my interaction with all creatures, with all of creation.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite term for addressing you, Abba, my Creator is simply that: My Creator. Once more, for one more day, you invite me to Co-Create with you. You are an Artist, the Great Artist. What a gift of love you give me inviting me to make art with you, like these few words I put together here with you.

    ReplyDelete