Friday, August 28, 2015

Chapter 71: Mutual obedience in the monastery


Obedience is of such value that it should be shown not only to the superior but all members of the community should be obedient to each other in the sure knowledge that this way of obedience is the one that will take them straight to God. (From para. 1 of Ch. 71 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

It seems to me that mutual obedience is based on authentic self-knowledge, and thus, respect for "that of God" in everyone. This is a perception much deeper than the "good guy/bad guy" mentality that I see prevalent in our culture. True, deep perception of my own human nature  -- a fruit of meditation -- leads me towards compassion for others, and unity in the Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. “Not only is the boon of obedience to be shown by all to the Abbot, but the brethren are also to obey one another.” This “boon” of obedience means to me that you have gifted me, Abba, with the “ears to hear” that Jesus speaks about. You remind me that that is what the word “obedience” comes from: the Latin ob-audire, “to listen in the direction of . . .”, in this case my brothers and sisters. Meditation helps me to take the cotton out of my ears and put it in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete