Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Chapter 71: Mutual obedience in the monastery


Obedience is of such value that it should be shown not only to the superior but all members of the community should be obedient to each other in the sure knowledge that this way of obedience is the one that will take them straight to God. (From para. 1 of Ch. 71 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

It seems to me that mutual obedience is based on authentic self-knowledge, and thus, respect for "that of God" in everyone. This is a perception much deeper than the "good guy/bad guy" mentality that I see prevalent in our culture. True, deep perception of my own human nature  -- a fruit of meditation -- leads me towards compassion for others, and unity in the Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. "Too much 'me' can never find 'you'-or anything beyond itself".(Richard Rohr in Breathing Under Water:Spirituality and the Twelve Steps, p.63) Too much me and I close my ears to what you say to me or I make too much noise with my talking and therefore I cannot hear you because I place too much value in my own opinions. The listening silence of my meditation if it is true and genuine leads me to listen deeply to the voice of love in faith. The response then in community needs to be the same listening in faith and love to the voice of others. Only then can I "honor", "listen" and "see in our differences distinctions of great merit"(J. Chittister, The Rule of Benedict, p.296).

    ReplyDelete