Friday, April 29, 2016

Chapter 73: This Rule is only a beginning


The purpose for which we have written this rule is to make it clear that by observing it in our monasteries we can at least achieve the first steps in virtue and good monastic practice. (From para. 1 of Ch. 73 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

These are welcome words to me today, as consoling as John Main's assurance that, "in meditation, we are all beginners".  St. Benedict accepts me as I am, offers me both compassion and challenge, and guides me to trust in the help of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. This is the last chapter but it points to beginnings with the supreme ending in mind. "Are you hastening toward your heavenly home? Then with Christ's help, keep this little rule that we have written for beginners"(RB 73:8). Chittister ends the chapter with the comment that, "this final chapter promises" that "the meaning of the human enterprise is for our taking if we will only follow this simple but profoundly life-altering way"(The Rule of Benedict, p.303). "Simple" and "little" are words that I take from this reflection today. I need not look for big things, or be pretentious, or tackle complex issues. The gift of the little rule helps me to live daily in community with others and the gift of meditation keeps me simply in the presence of God through Christ. The key to both, is "an active, whole-hearted surrender to the will of God"(Fr. Laurence in Daily Wisdom for April 29, 2016).
    This surrender is learned through the daily practice of the Rule with a community and family and in the twice daily practice of meditation.

    ReplyDelete