Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 5)


And so now to prepare ourselves for the journey before us let us renew our faith and set ourselves high standards by which to lead our lives. (From para. 5 of Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I can't think of any higher standard than living in the unitive consciousness of love. It's a standard to which I will fall short, and remember only intermittently. But it's the same love in which I aspire to live that is already sustaining me.

1 comment:

  1. "What is more delightful than this voice of the Holy One calling to us? See how God's love shows us the way of life"(Chittister, The Rule of Benedict, "Prologue", May 4). The meditation practice wherein I open myself to the "eternal silence" reflects these words of Benedict. John Main, a Benedictine monk,echoes Benedict's words in the May 5 reading. The silence of meditation is the silence of love. I rest in that silence with" our Father who invites us to be there, who loves us to be there and who has created us to be there"(p.126, Silence ). God is calling, inviting. My part in all of this is to "Listen" and to accept the call, to accept the invitation in order to be shown the way of life and the way to a whole and integrated and love-filled life.

    ReplyDelete