Friday, July 1, 2016

Chapter 28: The treatment of those who relapse


If even such prayer does not bring healing, the superior must turn to the knife of amputation, following the guidance of St Paul, who told the Corinthians to banish the evil from their midst, and again he said: if the unfaithful one wishes to go, let him go, lest one diseased sheep corrupt the whole flock. (From Ch. 28 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I think it takes discernment, not borne of attention to my ego, but to divine presence, to know when to accept difficult relationships, and when to let them go. My ego can stir up very mixed motives, and make situations worse. But God calls me to hold true to the way of growth that springs from my rootedness and trust in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment