Thursday, July 21, 2016

Chapter 46: Faults committed elsewhere


Any member of the community who in the course of some work in the kitchen, in the stores, while fulfilling a service to others or in the bakery, the garden or the workshops or anywhere else does something wrong or happens to break or lose something or to be guilty of some other wrongdoing, must as soon as possible appear before the superior and the community with a voluntary admission of the failure and willing reparation for it. (From para. 1 of Ch. 46 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

For me, this passage poses an examination of conscience: am I aware that every task, every moment, every relationship is an opportunity to work with love and gratitude?  Does my work mediate Christ's love, no matter how small the work seems?  Am I alert to the difference it makes to my consciousness, and to those around me?

No comments:

Post a Comment