Friday, August 5, 2016

Chapter 57: Members of the community with creative gifts


If there are any in the community with creative gifts, they should use them in their workshops with proper humility, provided that they have the permission of the superior. (From para. 1 of Ch. 57 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

My understanding of "creative gifts" is expanding. It includes a growing quality of selfless attention when I practice my own art, or make art with others. This is in stark contrast to the egoic judgmentalism that typically accompanies art-making. And, creativity also becomes the experience of flowing in something much larger than myself, connecting me to all creatures, to all of creation.

1 comment:

  1. I used to think like that that to be creative I had to make something with my hands, or as the dictionary states,"cause something to happen as a result of one's actions". That isn't the way I am, now. Creativity, as the dictionary puts it, can also mean contributing and sowing seeds that will grow later. In a quiet way, my dog and I go the library to hear children read or i visit the homebound with the Sacred Host. That is the contribution- going into the community promoting the kingdom of God in love, gentleness and kindness. Those are the seeds that I can sow.

    ReplyDelete