Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Chapter 64: The election of an abbot or abbess (paragraphs 1-2)


The grounds on which a candidate is elected abbot or abbess must be the quality of their monastic life and the wisdom of their teaching, even if they are the last in order in the community. (From para. 1 of Ch. 64 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

St. Benedict teaches me: Order is not merely rank. It is more importantly the quality of alignment in my inner and outer life, and in my life in community with others. This kind of alignment with the living Spirit that flows through me and sustains me, also liberates me.

1 comment:

  1. Those privileged to serve in a leadership role in Lord's community carry enormous responsibilities. How wonderful it is that St. Benedict cautions the community to select an Abbot or Abbess, on the sole criterion, he or she that is most able to shoulder this responsibility.

    ReplyDelete