Sunday, September 4, 2016

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 5)


And so to prepare ourselves for the journey before us let us renew our faith and set ourselves high standards by which to lead our lives. [...] Such a follower of Christ lives in reverence of him and does not take the credit for a good life but believing that all the good we do comes from the Lord, gives him the credit and thanksgiving for what his gift brings about in our hearts. (From para. 5 of The Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

St. Benedict bids me to both set a high standard for my life, and to acknowledge that the good that comes about from my heart is the gift of God. For me, this is realized in the practice of meditation: Nothing to accomplish, only to be -- to be in the Presence.  And to remember that it is not my meditation, but God's -- that in meditation I step into the energy of love that flows continually between Jesus and the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment