Friday, October 14, 2016

Chapter 11: Vigils or night office on Sunday


In these Vigils the arrangement should be that six psalms and a verse should be chanted, as described above, and then, when everyone has sat down in an orderly way on the benches, four lessons should be read from the book on the lectern with their responsories. (From Ch. 11 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I don't want to trivialize Benedict's careful and thorough arrangement of Vigils, but I'm struck most especially by his observation that there should be a pause until every has sat down in an orderly way on the benches. He also observes twice at other points that all should rise as a sign of profound reverence. Benedict takes the trouble to consider the body at prayer, its orderliness -- being "gathered" as an individual and within the community, and the power of posture to produce praise. This "gathering"  means much to me as I sit to meditate, as I prepare my body to find integration in my heart. And also as I end meditation with a deep bow, that puts my head below my heart, also a sign of reverence, and of right order.

No comments:

Post a Comment