Sunday, October 2, 2016

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 10-11)


The fourth step of humility is to go even further than this by readily accepting in patient and silent endurance, without thought of giving up or avoiding the issue, any hard and demanding things that may come our way in the course of that obedience, even if they include harsh impositions which are unjust. (From para. 10 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I can't accept that this means I should allow myself to become prey to another person's malevolent ego. But the central teaching that I see in Benedict's words is that I remain faithful to the "course of obedience" --  that I pierce through my own illusions and desire to control, that I grasp what is, that I know that I am lovable because I am loved by God, and that together we can forge diamonds from what is rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment