Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Chapter 53: The reception of guests (paragraphs 5-6)


The kitchen to serve the superior together with the guests should be quite separate, so that guests, who are never lacking in a monastery, may not unsettle the community by arriving, as they do, at all times of the day. (From para. 5 of Ch. 53 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I may not have two kitchens, but I have the grace of a discipline, the practice of meditation twice a day. Circumstances may require me to be flexible, and sometimes I may fail, but I have the stability of knowing what my practice is, so that I may always be grounded in it, always return to it.

3 comments:

  1. As a householder, not living in a monastery, I smile to think of the revolving door of my kitchen...husband, children, guests even pets circling through at various times of the day. With the aid of the mantra and my meditation practice my heart can remain settled in Christ serving all who come as Christ himself. Maranatha. ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We will discover as we persevere in meditation that we cannot put God on hold, keep Him in a waiting room and say to Him, ‘When I’m through with this important business I’m so absorbed in, I’ll attend to you.’ " (John Main "The Way of Unknowing"). Abba, throughout this day, help me make you my Priority Guest, beginning with my two meditations. Lead me beyond my busy-ness-created illusions and delusions to the rock-solid truth of your presence here, now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This rule shows me that love for the guest and for the community is identical. It shows me that love in Christ unifies rather than divides. That love for one group need not diminish love for another. In fact, if we find a diminution then this may not be love but an illusion.

    ReplyDelete