Monday, January 16, 2017

Chapter 3: Calling the community together for consultation (paragraph 1)


The community themselves should be careful to offer their advice with due deference and respect, avoiding an obstinate defence of their own convictions. (From para. 1 of Ch. 3 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I think assumptions and self-defense rule many conversations, even subtly between friends. Meditation teaches me to recognize, little by little, the control tactics of my ego. May I truly learn to express the deference and respect that spring from the compassionate heart. 

2 comments:

  1. "The most precious goods are not to be sought out, but to be waited for (expectantly)."
    (Simone Weil, "Awaiting God", Translated by Bradley Jersak). In the twice-daily stillness, silence and simplicity of meditation I am learning and experiencing the joy and peace of waiting expectantly for you, Abba, even and especially in my most confusing moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful reminder that obedience is our compass to Truth. When I offer what I think is truthful and loving it is wise to remember Who is Truth and Love.

    ReplyDelete