Monday, January 2, 2017

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 3)


However late, then, it may seem, let us rouse ourselves from lethargy. That is what scripture urges on us when it says: the time has come for us to rouse ourselves from sleep. Let us open our eyes to the light that can change us into the likeness of God. (From para. 3 of Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

However late, then, it may seem, being in the presence of God is not something I "missed". The presence is here, now, and so it is never too late for me to open my eyes to the light that can change me into the likeness of God, the timeless light.

1 comment:

  1. "Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep" (Rom. 13:11).
    "Meditation is in essence a way of learning to become awake, to be fully alive and be still. The way to that wakefulness is silence and stillness." (John Main).

    What a wonder-full, awe-full, paradox, Abba! I awaken to you and the Spirit of your Son, by stilling my body, closing my eyes, and saying my mantra. I arise from the sleep of my busy-ness. I awaken to silence and stillness.

    ReplyDelete