Sunday, February 19, 2017

Chapter 16: The hours of the work of God during the day

And so at these times let us offer praise to out Creator because of his justice revealed in his judgements -- that is at Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline and in the night let us arise to praise him. (From Ch. 16 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I think that St Benedict confirms the importance of the Divine Office in the life of a monastic community -- the hours of praise throughout the night and day to bring the community together, to put God first, to keep time holy. In the same way, the discipline of meditation helps me to understand the importance of where I choose place my attention, in every minute and hour of the day. I think that where and how I place my attention becomes, in effect, who I am. So I must be careful to attend to life with a heart open to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment