Monday, February 20, 2017

Chapter 17: The number of psalms to be sung at the hours

We have already set out the order of the psalms for Vigils and for Lauds. Now let us look at the order of the psalms for the rest of the Hours. (From para. 1 of Ch. 17 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

In reading Benedict's instructions for the number of psalms to be sung at the hours, I glimpse a vision that lifts me above my small self -- a vision of a river of praise flowing incessantly. Benedict's guidelines for fidelity, order, and thoroughness in the singing of the psalms are in the same flowing spirit as saying the mantra faithfully, twice daily, from the beginning to the end of meditation.

1 comment:

  1. Chittister's questions at the end of this chapter strike at my heart because they really challenge me. I ask myself after reading her questions, where is my heart/mind after I get up from my meditation seat and after I have prayed the morning Vigils? I ask myself if I open myself to God- Father,Son and Holy Spirit throughout the day? There are times when I do and there are times when I do not. Saying the mantra in those difficult times of forgetting is a way I can keep in the Spirit and open myself up to the Spirit of God in me. And it is with certainty that I can say when I do that I also open every situation for the Spirit of God to be there also. What a marvelous discovery!

    ReplyDelete