Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Chapter 67: Those sent on a journey


Those who are sent on a journey should commend themselves to the prayers of all the community as well as of the superior, and, at the last prayer of the work of God in the oratory, there should always be a momento of all who may be absent. (From Ch. 67 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Sometimes my journeys are the undesirable ones of wandering away from life-giving routine, from loving spiritual discipline, from my place in community, from openness to reality rather than to fantasy.  But the "momento" of my true identity in Christ is to remember, to return, to re-begin saying the mantra.

1 comment:

  1. When my sin makes me journey from the path I strive to remember that I do not lose my salvation but the joy of my salvation. There is nothing that I can do to make God love me more and nothing that I can do to make God love me less. He loves me because He loves me. But I have much grace to receive in order to love myself as He loves me.

    ReplyDelete