Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Chapter 10: The night office in summertime


From Easter until the first day of November the same number of psalms should be said as we have established for winter, but because the nights are shorter, instead of reading three lessons from the book on the lectern only one should be recited by heart from the Old Testament with a a brief responsory to follow. (From Ch. 10 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I see that St. Benedict describes a rhythm of prayer that responds to the circumstances of nature and draws on scripture committed to heart.  The practice of selfless attention in meditation, has the same power to help me be as responsive to reality and committed to continuous prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Sr. Joan points out a number of important lessons in this chapter. There is one that I take to heart today. The desire to pray the office is a calling to me, and does not originate from me, but it is a call from God, as is all prayer. Therefore, when I say the office, I need to take care to say it well, with attention not unlike that when I strive to be focused on the mantra. I need to not rush, but to be reflective of what I am saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Be careful, my child, in all you do, well-disciplined in all your behavior. Do to no one what you would not want done to you. Give your bread to the hungry, and your clothes to those who are naked. Whatever you own in plenty, devote a proportion to almsgiving.” (Tobit 4:14-16, from Lauds/Morning Prayer today). In Spanish the way you ask “how are you this morning” is, literally, “did you wake up well today?” This reading from this morning’s Divine Office helps me to “wake up well” today, spiritually as well as physically.

    ReplyDelete