Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Chapter 11: Vigils or night office on Sunday


This arrangement for Vigils is followed in the same way on every Sunday both in summer and winter, unless -- which God forbid -- the community gets up late, in which case the lessons or responsories should to some extent be shortened. (From para. 2 of Ch. 11 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

In the very midst of his instructions, I read that St. Benedict compassionately acknowledges human failing -- as well as forgiveness, reasonable adjustment and continued commitment. May this be a model for me in my own spiritual practice, and life.

1 comment:

  1. Reading attentively Benedict's rubrical prescriptions for the ordering of the Office reminds me of how important to our relationship, Abba, and to all my love relationships, is reflection and the proactive ordering of my how I live and how I love.

    ReplyDelete