Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Chapter 17: The number of psalms to be sung at the hours


We have already set out the order of the psalms for Vigils and for Lauds. Now let us look at the order of the psalms for the rest of the Hours. (From para. 1 of Ch. 17 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Benedict's guidelines for fidelity, order, and thoroughness in the singing of the psalms seem to me to be in same spirit as saying the mantra faithfully, twice daily, from the beginning to the end of meditation. In both cases, I see a discipline, and I see a challenge to maintain a continuous turning towards God. Where does my mind go when it wanders throughout the day? The practice of meditation suggests to me that it's not so important where my wandering mind goes, as to gently bring it back into the presence of God.

1 comment:

  1. “Bright as fire in darkness,
    Sharper than a sword,
    Lives throughout the ages
    God’s eternal word.”
    (Hymn from today’s Office of Readings)
    Abba, let your eternal Word brighten every nook and cranny of this day. Let it sharpen me every moment for your service

    ReplyDelete