Thursday, August 17, 2017

Chapter 62: The priests of the monastery


When ordained a monk must be careful to avoid a spirit of self-importance or pride and he must avoid taking on himself any duties to which the abbot has not assigned him. (From para. 1 of Ch. 62 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I 'm stunned by the lack of a moral compass today, witnessing leadership that flaunts its own self-importance in dangerous ways. But I must confront my own sense of self-importance and pride. I remember John Main's description of the mantra as like a compass that guides us home in a storm. I realize the absolute necessity of fidelity to the mantra, and thus, of living my own life in a more selfless and attentive way.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful reminder against self importance. I need to remind myself always that no matter what I achieve in the eyes of the world, I am always a servant of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete