Sunday, February 18, 2018

Chapter 15: When the Alleluia should be said

From the holy feast of Easter until Pentecost the Alleluia must always be said in the psalms and the responsories. From Pentecost until the beginning of Lent it is said only with the last six psalms in the night office. On every Sunday outside Lent, however, the Alleluia is included in Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext and None.... (From Ch. 15 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

In his instructions about when to say the Alleluia, St Benedict emphasizes the importance for me of seasons, the rhythms of life. Every moment is an Alleluia moment. But it is probably good for me to have a context for for rejoicing, and a context for remembering that life also involves waiting, seeking, suffering.

1 comment:

  1. Since I am now in a place where I barely have internet connection and I am already dependent on the internet for the office... My personal office is the Glory Be...

    ReplyDelete