Friday, February 2, 2018

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 13)


The sixth step of humility for monks or nuns is to accept without complaint really wretched and inadequate conditions so that when faced with a task of any kind they would think of themselves as poor workers not worthy of consideration and repeat to God the verse of the psalm: I am of no account and lack understanding, no better than a beast in your sight. Yet I am always in your presence. (From para. 13 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Psalm, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)


I am nothing without God -- and yet, I am always in his presence. What changes is my fickle point of view. What is constant and redeeming is the divine energy that sustains me.

1 comment:

  1. " 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31[32]:5). I am now aware how much life can be a playground or both holiness and wickedness. I rejoice with the angels in times that I holy but I do remember God's mercy in times that I am wicked. Bottom line, I always believe that I am loved.

    ReplyDelete