Sunday, February 4, 2018

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 15)


The eighth step of humility teaches us to do nothing which goes beyond what is approved and encouraged by the common rule of the monastery and the example of our seniors. (Para. 15 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Is this a damper on individual initiative and discernment, or, rather, a warning about the ego? Perhaps Benedict is pointing me towards openness to being formed a wisdom tradition, and stability in seeking Christ in my heart. It's also not too much of a stretch for me to recognize the faithful discipline required by the practice of meditation. In this way, St. Benedict offers me a guide to liberty of spirit.

1 comment:

  1. "It is good for me that You have humbled me, that I may learn Your commandments" (Ps. 118[119]:71)." In lowliness, there us more room for expansion than in moments of success.

    ReplyDelete